2018 Conference Proposals
Each year we host over 40 workshops and we encourage interested individuals to apply.
Topics should be consistent with the conference goals of “Organic foods, farming & gardening plus closely related ecological issues.”
Due Date for Submissions: March 15th , 2017
How to Submit Proposals
By email (preferred):
Please submit to both of the following email addresses…. email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Proposals submitted as pdfs preferred, although Word documents or information within the email are also acceptable.
In Subject Line please note “GOC18 Workshop Proposal – [Your Last Name] – [Topic]
We will aim to acknowledge your submission within 3 business days.
For those proposals accepted for presentation at the 2018 conference, formal confirmations will be completed May to July.
*Please note that these submission guidelines were updated March 2, 2017. If you have already submitted your proposal that is fine, but where possible we request that the above guidelines are followed moving forward.
Guelph Organic Conference Attn: Tomas Nimmo Box 116 Collingwood, ON L9Y 3Z4
Format for Proposals
The following format is suggested but feel free to expand your comments in any of these sub-headings. Proposals submitted without the following information are less likely to be chosen.
If you are unsure of the topic or whether it would be of interest, feel free to call Tomas (info above) to discuss. Please make these calls mid to late February.
- Suggested title for the workshop (or give a choice of 2 or 3 names) – keep it simple, creative & interesting
- Suggested speaker (or speakers) – (A) is it a single person presenting, or is it (B) a 2-person talk or (C) actually a much larger panel. If it’s a larger panel, who would you prefer to be the other proposed panelists? – we need those names because you must have an idea who they are and we want to see how you would construct such a panel – up to 3, 4, 5, 6 presenters !
- Duration of program – 1.0-hour, 1.25-hour, 1.5-hour or longer, i.e. 3.0-hour. Do you see this as a major seminar which could run as a ½-day (3-hour) or full-day program (note that we have very limited space for these large programs, so be very specific, so that we can consider your idea).
- Difficulty or challenge/involvement level of the subject you are proposing – e.g……. is it only for novices, or is it introductory, intermediate, advanced, expert, etc.
- Description – try to describe your presentation in 25-50 words (100 maximum). Provide the 5W’s – who-what-where-why-when….. and how? Have we ever done this workshop in the past?
- Target Audience – (remember that anyone can attend any Guelph workshop even if the person is not directly in farming). Is your target ‘certified organic growers,’ or consumers, market gardeners, crop researchers, media, student interns, 10-acre landholders, 1000-acre transitional growers, permaculture advocates, highrise sprouters, or who? Is the target “general” – appealing to all?
- Is your proposal within a “larger theme of workshops“?…. if so, think ahead and give 2 or 3 ‘proposed titles’ of some of these other imagined workshops which might fit into that theme.
- Please provide any other comments on why your proposed workshop is necessary, significant, important or that it provides a new focus or will generate new interest at the Conference. Please: your proposal must be short + clear vs. vague or rambling (sorry, but we do get some of those). In the past we have received several 3- and 4-workshop proposals on the same theme, written on less than one page. Excellent.
- Final note: as an objective academic policy, our workshops do not want to be outright promotions for products, businesses, specific methodologies or belief systems without offering opposing or other views. If the Guelph Conference Committee likes your idea but feels it is too specific to your personal business enterprise, we may counter-propose a panel containing you + differing, opposing or conflicting views.
- Your contact information including: mailing address, postal code, phone/fax, e-mail, website (if applicable).