Date / Time:
Thursday January 24th, 2019
9:00 am to 10:00 am – Organic coffee & networking
10:00 am to 12:00 pm – Workshop presentation
12:00 pm to 1:15 pm – Lunch
1:15 pm – 4:00 pm – Workshop presentation
This full day intensive will be presented in modules, with time for questions and discussion after each one.
This will be a very full day of information, at an intermediate to advanced level, with ample time to share experiences and trouble-shoot problems, and to adapt time to specific concerns.
- management and improvement
- crop rotation! – seasonal choices, cover crops, variable markets and innovative uses, whole-farm rotation strategies
Weed Control 1
- cultural strategies to limit and shift weed pressure
- weed identification and interpretation
Weed Control 2
- equipment and mechanical techniques: the tried and true and the exciting new!
Harvest, Storage and Marketing – the riskiest part of the journey!
After 25+ years of organic grain farming, what we wish we knew back then . . .
Registered attendees are invited to submit questions, photographs and soil test results before the intensive for group discussion (please email to [email protected] at least 2 weeks before event)
Speakers: Mary-Howell & Klaas Martens
Mary-Howell Martens and her husband Klaas have farmed organically since the early 1990s. Currently they farm 1600 acres of certified organic grain crops and operate a feed mill in Penn Yan, New York.
Lakeview Organic Grain website with lots of articles and resources. http://lakevieworganicgrain.com/
Mary-Howell is active and informative on Facebook. Check it out here www.facebook.com/lakevieworganicgrain
Farming with Intentional Biodiversity – Article via Civil Eats available here
Mary-Howell and Klaas will present at various times throughout the Guelph Organic Conference.
They will also
- be co-presenters at “Soil Health” on Friday, January 25th
- Mary-Howell will be a panelist at the Women in Organics panel discussion the evening of Friday, January 25th.
- present “Cropping Strategies to Reduce Tillage” on Saturday, January 26th