Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 10:30 am to 11:45 am
In this workshop, Ann will discuss the following…
- Overview/audit of Biodynamic practicing and certified vineyards in Canada
- Why go organic/Biodynamic
- Establishing and Converting vineyards to organic and Biodynamic production
If you are attending Ann will be referring to this article and suggests attendees may want to review it beforehand…
Speaker: Ann Sperling
Ann Sperling, Winemaker – Winegrower
Since her childhood upbringing in her family’s Okanagan Valley vineyard to her early winemaking accomplishments, and to her more recent viticultural and winemaking successes, Ann has innately turned to the soil to find the character and complexity of her wines. With vineyards featuring prominently in Ann’s winemaking, stewardship of the land and environment were natural outcomes. After a period of research, the successful development and execution of organic and biodynamic viticultural practices have been high priorities since 2000 and include these recent projects:
- Implementation and Organic Certification on the Moira Vineyard (2002 through 2005)
- Set-up of Southbrook Vineyard to biodynamic viticulture & winemaking (2006 to present). Southbrook is certified organic (Pro Cert) & certified biodynamic (Demeter International) 2008.
- Conversion and certification of British Columbia vineyards Sperling Vineyards and Clos du Soleil to Organic & BD starting in 2011
- Consultant to Lightfoot & Wolfville for their establishment period who were Demeter certified in 2016.
- Appellation classification and recognition within the VQA for Skin Fermented white Wine (“orange wine”) 2017.