Saturday, January 25, 2020
3:30 pm to 4:45 pm
Virtually every organic grower is using low cost tunnels or moving structures around to maximize production & investment.
The overall theme of this workshop is how to increase your return while protecting your investment.
The first portion of this workshop will cover how a grower can benefit from a moveable structure. Identifying the cost vs. benefit.
The second portion will identify the different choices that a grower has. Norm will discuss when something is a benefit and when it is a drawback.
The third portion will focus on the drawbacks. By being aware of these, there are ways to minimize risk.
Topics covered will include:
- The benefits of preparing the soil before it is covered.
- What kind of crops lend themselves to temporary shelters.
- What is the difference between a tunnel and a cold frame.
- What kind of things can not be done with a tunnel.
- What kind of costs (capital & man hours) can one expect.
- What kind of flexibility can be gained and lost with a tunnel.
- How can I identify if something is too much risk?