Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 10:30 am to 11:45 am
Customers are expecting superior flavour and nutrition in their organic foods. Do your best to deliver this!
A balance of soil minerals, biological activity, and growing plants all contribute to a healthy soil that boosts produce quality.
Optimal planting dates, watering, and harvesting also support higher quality, prices and profits.
Topics covered will include:
- Reasons for optimizing Flavour, Nutrition, Shelf-life, and Prices
- Healthy soil is the key to optimizing all these benefits
- Balancing soil minerals, biological activity, and cover-crops build healthy soil
- Planting and harvesting at the optimal times
- How proper post-harvest handling extends all these benefits.
This presentation will also include results from research David is working on with the University of Guelph.
Speaker: David Cohlmeyer
David was the favourite market gardener of acclaimed chefs in Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa for over 23 years. He accomlished this by adopting practices he thought might provide better tasting produce.
His chefs willingly paid premium prices for exceptional year round produce.
Since his retirement 7 years ago, he has been working with the University of Guelph to scientifically confirm which practices best contribute to superior tasting and more nutritious foods.