Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 10:30 am to 11:45 am
Special attention will be given to kombucha, sourdough bread, sauerkraut and other vegetables. Participants will go home with tips, tricks, tasty recipes, and a hand out of how to make sauerkraut, kombucha, and sourdough bread.
This workshop will be for beginners to seasoned fermenters, with everyone welcome to bring their questions for troubleshooting or how to start.
The workshop will dive into historical accounts of a variety of lacto-fermented food and beverages and their use in different cultures around the world.
The scientific literature on lacto-fermentation as well as the health benefits of different fermented food and beverages will also be addressed.
Topics covered will include:
- the history of fermented food and beverage consumption
- popular fermented food and drink today – with a focus on kombucha, sourdough bread, sauerkraut and other vegetables
- Lacto-fermentation science.
- Health benefits – mainly focusing on probiotics and the gastro intestinal tract
- the Art of Fermentation – tips, tricks, gadgets, do it yourself tasty recipes
- question and answer
Speaker: Shawn Slade
Shawn is an avid permaculture gardener and has a Master’s of Science in Health Promotion. An award winning certified holistic lifestyle coach, he practiced for over a decade before selling his practice to launch Booch Organic Kombucha. Currently he is completing a PhD in Health Promotion where his research focus is fermented food and drinks.