Sunday, January 26, 2020
9:00 am to 10:00 am
This workshop will discuss various issues related to organic maple syrup production at an intermediate/advanced level.
Topics covered will include:
- Cleanliness – why it is so important.
- Plastic Under a Microscope – No matter how hard you try, you can’t guarantee it is clean
- Boiling Point of Syrup – Weather definitely affects the boiling point of syrup so you need to be careful
- Reading the Miscus level – proper reading of instruments is very important
- Burnt Syrup Pan – Maple syrup producers number 1 nightmare – burnt syrup
- Why your syrup went moldy or why is it cloudy in a glass container.
- Off Flavours in Maple Syrup and what causes them.
- Never-Never cut corners ! If you do the Maple Gods will bite you for sure !
It will be a fun and informative session !
Also check out this blog post – Q&A with Speaker Terry Hoover – One of the speakers for this workshop!
Speakers: Terry Hoover & Kevin Snyder
Terry has been the President of the Ontario Maple Syrup Production Association (OMPSA) and is currently president of the Waterloo-Wellington Local of OMSPA.
He has been Certified Organic since 2002.
Kevin became Certified Organic in 2017, and is heavily involved with 4H.